Joomla beginner's guide
1. What is Joomla CMS ?
Joomla is an Open Source Content Management System (CMS). Joomla is widely used for developing news portals, corporate websites, social networking websites and online forums. But the flexibility and scalability of it does not end there; it can also be used to design E-Commerce portals and web applications.
2. Why Joomla ?
Joomla CMS is used for the following reasons:-
- Joomla is available for free.
- Joomla CMS have a wide range of extensions.
- Installation is easy and website can be set up in minutes.
- You can customize Joomla website into anything that you need it to be.
- You can build multi-lingual websites.
- The list of available languages is huge; there is no better alternative.
3. What are Components, Modules and Plugins in Joomla ?
- Components - Components can be seen as mini-applications. A component can only be displayed in the main area of a page, and can only be displayed in a single page. Links to components are usually done by creating menu items. Components usually have a particular page or pages for their configuration.
- Modules - Modules are usually small pieces of functionality designed to present information in your site. They can appear a number of times, on a number of pages in various positions.Also each module can be viewed in various pages, and the position of each module can be easily changed. You are allowed to select the menu items where a module is displayed.
- Plugins - Plugins provide functions which are associated with trigger events. Joomla provides a set of core plugin events, but any extension can fire (custom) events. When a particular event occurs, all plugin functions of the type associated with the event are executed in sequence.
4. How to find and Install Joomla Extensions ?
Joomla Extensions are easily available at Joomla’s official extension directory website,extensions.joomla.org. Installing Joomla extensions is not difficult at all. A user with little technical knowledge can install joomla extensions with ease. A user can install joomla extensions by following these steps
- Log into your joomla administrator.
- Go to Extensions -> Extensions Manager.
- Upload extension zip
- Extension gets installed.
To learn more about Joomla CMS visit www.joomla.org